Skip to main content

Three Times a Lady (Or how this blog got started)

It's 18 days short of a year since my IRS status changed from "Married" to "Head of Household". Most of the house is different now-no Yankee games on TV, no dirty dishes in the sink, no vodka bottles hidden in the garage.

My husband of 30 years passed away of a pulmonary embolism; a complication of brain surgery after a long battle with alcoholism. The night he passed, I went to the hospital with a buttered hard roll for him: his healing brain had reverted back to his NYC commuting days when he'd grab a coffee and a roll for his bus ride to his film editing job. 
As he drank his coffee and ate his roll, we argued about him wanting to go home with me.  He had not yet relearned how to walk, so the aides were moving him back and forth to a chair (his bus seat) and we all had hopes of being able to move him to a rehab facility.  Five hours later, an doctor called to say something was wrong, but not to come. Ten minutes later, another call and this time please hurry. When I got there, he was gone.

Flash ahead to October.  Superstorm Sandy trudged up the coast, battering New Jersey. Although my home is nowhere near what you would call waterfront, or even water view, I battened down the house with sandbags, threw some stuff (although not nearly enough) upstairs, patted the box with hubby's remains (cut me a break-I haven't figured out what do do with them yet) and told him to take care of the house. When I returned, I found the entire first floor ruined-flooded with three feet of water and caked with river mud. An uprooted tree was leaning on the roof.  Missing were the locusts to make it a complete disaster.

As people from all over the country banded together to lend a hand to us Sandy victims, what could be more comforting than the support of your work peers? In my case, anything short of Freddie Kruger in "A Nightmare on Elm Street".  My director informed me that because of my lack of sales during hubby's illness/death and "issues" both at home and at work following Sandy,  I was no longer needed. I know I shouldn't say this, but I smiled on the way home because I couldn't think of how I was going to manage rebuilding my home and my life while working a full-time job with no wing man.

But I do it.  And so do almost a million other women who were widowed last year (a third my age or younger). Writing about my experience is a cheap way to avoid the therapist route, even if it occasionally includes a very dirty Martini.  Because I still keep one bottle of vodka in the house-but now it's just for me.


Popular posts from this blog

I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt

Wingman use to call me many things. Obstinate. Overcritical. Certainly bitchy. I even recall on our wedding day that he called me "beautiful". But that was a one-time happening, and I don't recall him ever crooning Eric Clapton"s "You Look Wonderful Tonight" after that. So it comes as no surprise that he never called me "sexy".

And I get it.  When I went to school in NYC, a couple of my friends were stopped by Eileen Ford and asked to come to her agency to model.  They were cute, and one was even, in an exotic way, sexy even back then.  But not me. I was and always will be, fine with how I look.

There were some things over the years that got me when I stopped dying my hair and grew it out to donate for a wig.  As part of a lecture that I did on The Avon Walk For Breast Cancer, I had my beautician come in and cut my waist-long hair short. The following Sunday at church, I was a Eucharistic Minister, which at a Catholic Mass is a re…

'Cause Baby You're A Firework. Come On Show Them What You're Worth

Five years ago today, I stood in a hospital room strewn with used syringes, rubber gloves and other medical waste, looking at the lifeless body of the man that I shared a life with for over 30 years. I should have been thinking of family, love and loss.  Instead, my first thought was, "Wow, I'm a widow now." Pretty pathetic in retrospect, and when Wingman referred to me just before I left him as "The Bitch", probably not too far off the mark.

But in time-warped speed just a half hour before that, I had already talked to the hospital twice, woken son #3 up to go over to the hospital with me, called Wingman's brother on the way, fought with a gimpy legged night watchman who wouldn't let us in the hospital, and finally took "that meeting" in a small private room where the doctor told my son and I that they did everything possible, but unfortunately (UNFORTUNATELY???) Wingman had passed. My brain was filled with what to do, who to call, …

But She Use To Have A Carefree Mind Of Her Own, With A Devilish Look In Her Eye

The first time I went out with Wingman, he remarked about how much I reminded him of his mother.  When we finally met, I just didn't see it: she was a tall, chain-smoking blonde, with a Lauren Bacall-esque voice, while I considered myself just an average size brunette with no distinguishable qualities.

She and I began our own relationship with stories about our lives, and she won every round of "Can You Top This". At 10 years old, she helped deliver her brother when her mother went into labor at home. Later, her alcoholic mother walked out on the family and was never seen or heard from again, so she dropped out of school to help. At 19, she and her husband eloped, and thought no one knew.  A photographer however, took a picture of them outside City Hall which became the cover of the afternoon edition of the NY World Telegram. (Oops.) A couple of years later, her very pregnant self drove her father and his equally pregnant girlfriend to City Hall in Newark to MAKE them get…